Archway and Tunnel Interior, Cracroft Caverns

Original Filename: CCCArch-Caverns128.jpg (view)

Original Size: 199.9 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Archway and Tunnel Interior, Cracroft Caverns.

Caption

The Cracroft Caverns, also known as the Cashmere Caverns, were constructed in 1942 during World War II in response to the perceived threat of a Japanese invasion.They were re-discovered in 1987.  

The caverns are now in the ownership of the Christchurch City Council and used as a ring laser experimental laboratory set up by the University of Canterbury's Physics Department;.   Both the laboratory and the caverns are currently closed due to the Canterbury earthquakes. 

The photo shows detail of one of the original reinforced concrete arches and the ring laser laboratory infrastructure.

Date taken: November 2002

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Archway and Tunnel Interior, Cracroft Caverns


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Archway and Tunnel Interior, Cracroft Caverns by CCCArch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License