Entrance to Cracroft caverns

Original Filename: CCCArch-HQP-113_Entrance_to_caverns__Halswell_Quarry_Park.jpg (view)

Original Size: 222.6 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

 Entrance to Cracroft caverns .

Caption

The Cracroft Caverns, also known as the Cashmere Caverns, were constructed in 1942 during World War II in response to the perceived threat of a Japanese invasion.They were re-discovered in 1987.  

The caverns are now in the ownership of the Christchurch City Council and used as a ring laser experimental laboratory set up by the University of Canterbury's Physics Department;.  

Photo taken 3 July 2005

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Entrance to Cracroft caverns


City:Christchurch