The Sawyer's Arms and Phoenix Hotel

The Sawyers Arms Hotel opened in 1854 & was Papanui's first Hotel ( or "public house"). Click on the Download button below to read the story.

Filename: Onl04.Sawy.Phnx.pdf ( download )

Size: 4.6 MB

Document type: application/pdf ( )

It was situated on Sawyer's Arms Road approximately on the site of the Papanui Domain.  The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1874 and reopened in 1875 on the corner of Main North Road and Sawyers Arms Road.  In September 1898 the hotel was agian destroyed by fire and was rebuilt with the name Phoenix Hotel.   The building was demolished in 1989.

From Sawyers Arms Hotel to The Phoenix Hotel was compiled by Christine Grant for the Papanui Heritage Group, September 2008.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion