Topic: James Francis Cogle
James Francis Cogle (Service no. 25/495) was a First World War soldier with links to Heathcote.
- Service number: 25/495
- Rifleman, New Zealand Rifle Brigade, 3rd Battalion, A Company
- Killed in Action, 15 September 1916, France
- Memorial:CATERPILLAR VALLEY (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL
- Born 11 April 1892, Lyttelton.
- Fireman with New Zealand Railways, Te Kuiti.
- Son of Lawrence and Harriet Gertrude Cogle (nee Playstead), 43 Hills Road, Heathcote Valley.
- Brother Robert Cogle (6/1000) also served and died during WW1.
- Description: 5 foot, 4 ½ inches, brown eyes, dark brown hair.
- Awarded British War Medal, Victory Medal
Military personnel file from Archives NZ (Archway)
Entry for James Cogle on Online Cenotaph (Auckland War Memorial)
Obituary for Cogle - Papers Past: Death of Sergeant A.D. Smale. Poverty Bay Herald, Volume XLIII, Issue 14180, 23 December 1916, Page 9.
Entry for James Cogle on Commonwealth War Graves Commission.