Topic: Wharenui School Memorial Gates

Topic type:

Gates to honour WW1 and WW2 soldiers at Wharenui School, Matipo Street, Riccarton, Christchurch

Wharenui School Memorial Gates - 19 March 2015The Wharenui School Memorial gates, originally located on the corner of Matipo and Elizabeth Streets, were officially opened on 23rd of April 1922  by Colin Lowe, the son of Percival Lowe (who had died in the war and is listed on the plaque).

The gates consists of two stone pillars constructed from Cashmere Hills stone, with an inlaid plaque on each pillar that are engraved as follows: 

Pillar One:

Wharenui School

1914- 1918

In Memory of
Herbert H. Johnston
Percy J. Lowe
James Archibald
Albert T.C. Henery
Harry J. Ormandy

Pillar Two:

Wharenui School

1939-1945

Dedicated to those who served

"We shall remember them"

The memorial also originally included as set of  wooden gates made from Jarrah which hung from the stone pillars. These wooden gates are no longer there, presumably they may have been removed when the gates were relocated to their present site on Matipo Street.

The memorial gates had been constructed by  Mr W. H. Winsor, who had also been the contractor for the Marshland Hall Memorial Gates.

At the Opening ceremony in 1922 several tributes were spoken by ministers from the various different churches in the district, and Mr Winsor presented Colin Lowe with the key to the gates. Memorial services had been held each ANZAC day at the gates until the early 1960’s when the ceremony was discontinued through lack of attendance.

 

 

References

  • Wilson, Alan S.  History of Wharenui School : 75th Jubilee 1907 – 1982. [Christchurch, N.Z. : Jubilee Committee, 1982]
  • SCHOOL COMMITTEES. Press, Volume LVIII, Issue 17429, 13 April 1922

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion