Topic: Witch Hill War Memorial
War memorial on Witch Hill, Port Hills, Christchurch.
Situated on Witch Hill / Te Upoko o Kurī, at the top of Rapaki Track, on the Port Hills, Christchurch, the memorial was a seat made of unfaced basalt which had been quarried nearby. It featured two bronze plaques commemorating the lives of St Martins and Rapaki soldiers who had died in the first World War, while a third plaque featured the poem The Dead by Rupert Brooke.
The memorial seat had been erected by Mr and Mrs A. Anderson in memory of their son, Frederick, who had during the battle of Messines.The plans to build the memorial were approved by the Summit Road Scenic Reserves Board in October 1917, just four months after Frederick Anderson died.
One plaque faced towards St. Martins, and was inscribed with the names of the Opawa and St. Martins soldiers while a second plaque faced towards Rapaki and had the following inscription:—
"He whakamaharatanga tenei mo tangata toa o te iwi Maori o Rapaki". (In memory of the Rapaki boys who gave their lives in the great war for king and empire).
The memorial was damaged in the 2010-2011 Canterbury Earthquakes.
- Witch Hill War Memorial. Christchurch City Council.
- On the Hills.,Press, Volume LIII, Issue 16036, 19 October 1917
- WITCH HILL.,Press, Volume LX, Issue 18196, 6 October 1924
- Taylor, W.A., Lore and history of the South Island Maori. Christchurch, N.Z. : Bascands, . The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection