Topic: Skellerup Industries Limited

Topic type:

Manufacturer of industrial rubber products, farm supplies, and dairy rubberware.

George Waldemar Skjellerup, a Danish Australian, opened his first retail store, Para Rubber Comapny, at 171 Manchester Street in Christchurch on 12th September 1910, selling tyres and rubber goods. In 1919 the comapny was registered as the Para Rubber Company Ltd,and a prospectus was issued inviting the public to subscribe for shares. A number of branches were opened across New Zealand in the following years as the company expanded. After outgrowing the original shop in Manchester Street, the head office was moved to a building on the corner of Cashel and Manchester Streets in 1933.

By 1939, the business had expanded to include three rubber factories, a wholesale distribution company and a chain of retail branches, with the first gumboots rolling off the production line at the Woolston factory in 1943. In 1947/48 these operations were consolidated as Skellerup Industries, and the Viking Ship logo was used to refelect Skjellerup's Danish ancestry.

The Woolston factory, was located between Marshall Street and Garlands Road, near the Heathcote River. The site covered an area of 6.68 ha with 31,270 sqm of buildings that date from the 1930s to 1980s, and also featured two large water bores.The site suffered earthquake damage during the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes.

In 2014 Skellerup Industries Limited moved all its plant and equipment to its new purpose buit factory in Wigram, Christchurch.

 

References

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion