Topic: The Bricks Site, cairn and setting

Topic type:

Situated on Cambridge Terrace, on the banks of the Avon River, the Bricks Site memorial, erected in 1926, marks an original landing site used by European settlers travelling up the river.

The Bricks site and cairn is situated on the banks of the Avon/Ōtākaro River, near the intersection of Oxford Terrace and Barbadoes Street.311 Oxford Terrace:

Located across the river from a former Ngāi Tahu kainga, by the 1840s the site was the furtherest point of navigation for boats making their way up the Ōtākaro River. For this reason it was chosen as a landing point by John and William Deans, who were the first Europeans to establish a permanent settlement on the Canterbury Plains. The site received its name due to a cargo of bricks having been deposited there.

By the 1850s a wharf was erected to assist with the unloading of cargo being brought up the river to assist with the development of the Christchurch settlement. By the 1860s, the use of the Heathcote River as a cargo route had rendered it rendundant.

On 9 February 1926, the Christchurch Beautifying Association approved a design prepared by Samuel Hurst Seager and Cecil Woodf or a cairn to be erected on the site of The Bricks. The cairn was partially made out of bricks which had originally been unloaded at the site and used in the construction of W. Guise Brittan's house on the corner of Fitzgerald Avenue and River Road.

On 18 December 1926, prior to the unveiling, Mayur J.K. Archer placed a box in the cairn which contained the latest newspapers along with photographs of both Christchurch and the site. Although the officialy unveiling ceremony took place on 20 December, the inscription was still to be carved.

 

Resources

References

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion