Topic: 14 Oxford Terrace

Topic type:

Initially constructed in 1851, this former dwelling has historical associations with Dr. Benjamin Moorhouse and the printing firm, Pegasus Press.

Merchants Joseph Longden and Henry LeCren purchased the site in 1851 and built a single storey house prior to selling the property in 1852.Pegasus Arms, 14 Oxford Terrace

In the following year, the house was purchased by Dr. Burrell Parkeson. The second storey addition to the rear of the original building was erected in 1869 during its ownership by Dr. J. W. S. Coward. Leased to Dr. Benjamin Moorhouse in 1886, he purchased the property in 1903.

Purchased in 1908 by the Barrett family, it remained a residence until 1952 when it became Pegasus Press.

The publishing firm remained in occupancy until 1987.

In 1990 the building was shifted westward and became the Pegasus Arms bar.


Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion