Topic: Cracroft House Servants' Quarters (Former), 30 Shalamar Drive

Topic type:

Also known as Old Stone House, the Cracroft House Servants' Quarters was built in 1870 to house the Indian employees of John Cracroft Wilson.

The Cracroft House Servants' Quarters is located at 30 Shalamar Drive, on land that was once part of the wider Cracroft estate, Cashmere. 

A former magistrate for the British East India Company, John Cracroft Wilson (1808-1881) first arrived in Canterbury in April 1854, while on leave. Hoping to establish a settlement for retired British East India Company service men, he purchased a number of runs and land at the foot of the Port Hills which he named Cashmere (an older form of spelling for the region of India/Pakistan, Kashmir).

To maintain his estate, Cracroft Wilson brought with him a number of Indian servants, including Muslims and Anglo-Indians. Returning to India in December 1854, he remained there until 1859, before retiring to live out his days in Christchurch at his estate, Cashmere. On his second trip to New Zealand he brought more Indian servants with him.

Originally the Indian servants lived in huts built along what is now Shalamar Drive. However, since these were inadequate, especially during winter, he built a large stone house for them to live in communal fashion in 1870.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Cracroft House Servants' Quarters (Former), 30 Shalamar Drive


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Cracroft House Servants' Quarters (Former), 30 Shalamar Drive by KeteCare is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License