Topic: Cornelius O’Connor Reserve

Topic type:

A local park with block wall, multiplay structure & swings.

The land was purchased in 1860 by Cornelius O’Connor (c1826-1916) and it stayed in his family for almost 140 years. When it was sold to the Council in about 1988 part of the land was developed for housing with the remainder being kept as a reserve.

The reserve was originally named Harman Reserve, because of its location in Harman Street, but it was renamed in 1998. O’Connor’s grandson, Noel, felt this would be a fitting tribute to a working class settler and his family.

Area of Park: 3,968 square metres, Perimeter of Park: 252 metres

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Cornelius O’Connor Reserve


City:Christchurch