Topic: Cottage, 383 Selwyn Street, Addington

Topic type:

The cottage at 383 Selwyn Street is an example of a colonial dwelling in a vernacular architectural style built in the 1880s.

The dwelling at 383 Selwyn Street reflects the development of the suburb of Addington in the latter part of the 19th century.

The cottage at 383 Selwyn Street is an example of a colonial dwelling in a vernacular architectural style. The dwelling is a single-storey cottage constructed on a timber frame with lapped weatherboards and an iron roof. The cottage has been extended, at an early date, to create a twin gabled dwelling with lean-to at the rear. The gabled roof aligns to the street frontage on a long narrow section. The sloping roof that extends over the façade to form a concave veranda, carried on posts with decorative brackets, is a feature of the cottage. The façade is symmetrical, with a central door flanked by double hung sash windows. A lean-to carport has been added to the south side of the building in the latter part of the 20th century.

The land on which the dwelling stands was originally Rural Section 72 – some 150 acres bounded by Moorhouse Avenue, Selwyn and Jerold Streets and Lincoln Road. Rural Section 72 was sold to Henry Sewell of the Canterbury Association in 1863. Sewell later transferred the land to Edward Stevens who subdivided it and, in 1875, sold part of the section to James McCullough, an Addington labourer. McCullough subdivided his property in 1887, selling  part to William Livingston Smith (c.1840-1911), who may have built the cottage, if it was not already on the site by this date. Smith remained at the property until his death in 1911, after which he was buried in Addington Cemetery, however the property transferred to John Robert Smith, plumber, in 1894. The property subsequently transferred from Smith to John MacMorran, saddler, in 1919 and then to Margaret Sinclair in 1921. Alfred Wise purchased the property in 1929. Following his death in 1965 the property passed to his wife Elsie who remained there until 1987, having lived in the cottage for nearly 60 years. The occupations of the owners of the property reflect the social identity and demographics of the suburb; Wise was a caretaker, with the other owners including a moulder, and a saddler.

The dwelling and its setting at 383 Selwyn Street has an association to the other cottages in the at 389 and 391 Selwyn Street, both of which are listed and are of a similar style, size and date of construction. The proximity of the three cottages, with their almost identical facades, enhances the streetscape value and aesthetic continuity of other cottages that are still extant in the immediate vicinity. The cottages contribute to the small-scale residential character of the neighbourhood.

Related

Heritage New Zealand Listing: Historic place # 3698

Christchurch District Plan  - Heritage Item Statement of Significance - Heritage Item Number 491

Christchurch District Plan  - Heritage Items and Settings Aerial Map

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Cottage, 383 Selwyn Street, Addington


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Cottage, 383 Selwyn Street, Addington by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License