Topic: Portstone, Woolston

Topic type:

Portstone was built in the 1860s. In 1971 new owners Bruce and Maureen Currie Page renamed it Portstone and used it as part of their Portstone Nursery business. Portstone was converted for use as a restaurant in 1980.

The former dwelling located at 471 Ferry Road, was built in the  1860s  by  and  for  James  Courtenay  (Courtney),  a  stonemason  and  quarryman,  who purchased the section (part of Rural Section 101) in August 1863. The Irish-born Courtenay came to Canterbury from Melbourne to work on the construction of the Moorhouse rail tunnel The  Port  Hills  stone  from  which  the  cottage  is  built  was  reputedly  cut  for  the tunnel. After  James  Courtenay  moved  to  the  East  Belt  (now  Fitzgerald  Avenue),  his  son  and fellow  stonemason  Charles  Edward  Courtenay  lived  in  the  Ferry  Road  cottage,  but  by  the 1890s it was being let out to John Smith, another stonemason.

Portstone, Woolston

The  Courtenay  family  retained  ownership  of  the  cottage  until  1916,  a  total  of  53  years,  by which time Courtenay and his wife Mary Ann were both dead. The house then passed  through  many  hands  until  1971,  when  new  owners  Bruce  and  Maureen  Currie Page renamed it Portstone, and subsequently used it as part of their Portstone Nursery business. Portstone was converted for use as a restaurant in 1980, and provided a base and venue fo  Dizzy Lizzy's catering from 1988 until the Canterbury earthquakes.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Portstone, Woolston


City:Christchurch