Topic: Woolston Borough Monument

Topic type:

The Monument commemorates the proclamation of Woolston as a borough in 1893. Located in Ferry Road at the corner of Ferry Road and Richardson Terrace.

The Woolston Borough Monument was a gift by first mayor of the Woolston Borough , John Richardson in 1893 to commemorate the proclamation of Woolston as a borough on July 27 that year. The monument originally stood outside the Borough Council Chambers further down Ferry Road. A tanner and currier by profession, the Scottish-born Richardson was first elected to the Woolston Town Board in 1884. As mayor, he served unti 1896, and then was re-elected in 1902.

Woolston Borough amalgamated with Christchurch in 1921, and a marble plaque on the monument commemorates this event, date. The monument also featured a drinking fountain which had gone by 1974, when the monument was renovated. A nearby horse trough was removed in 1993.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Woolston Borough Monument


City:Christchurch