Topic: Tiptree Cottage, Harewood

Topic type:

Tiptree Cottage located at 63 Savills Road, Harewood was built by William Savill sometime between 1861 and 1868.

Located at 63 Savills Road, Harewood, Christchurch

Tiptree Cottage was built by William Savill sometime between 1861 and 1868.

The cottage, made of cob (a mixture of clay, water and straw) is two-storeyed, with a timber attic. The use of cob and the style of the building, with a relatively small roof area, were possibly dictated by the lack of timber on the Canterbury Plains. However, the design of the cottage is also reminiscent of buildings in Essex, where the Savills came from. (The name, 'Tiptree', is the name of a village in Essex.) The roof was originally thatched but around 1900 the thatch was replaced with corrugated iron.

The cottage was sold to the owner of the neighbouring property around 1930 but was not inhabited, apart from a brief time during the Depression. It was purchased in 1963 by the Gregg family who restored the cottage and opened it as a house museum.

The cottage sustained moderate damage in the Canterbury Earthquakes of 2010-2011.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Tiptree Cottage, Harewood