Topic: Warners Hotel, 50 Cathedral Square

Topic type:

Warner's Hotel was a hotel established in 1863. The original building burned down in 1900. A new building was built in 1901 and  underwent numerous alterations including a fourth storey in 1910. The northern end of the building was replaced in 1917 by the Empire theatre -  built in its place to create a noise buffer to the printing presses of the adjoining Lyttelton Times Building.

Whe the then Savoy theatre was demolished in 1996 and Waner's built enjoyed a beer garden.

In 2010, a multi-story Novotel hotel replaced the beer garden and recreated the 1901 façade.

Following the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake, the original part of the building was demolished.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Warners Hotel, 50 Cathedral Square


City:Christchurch
Suburb :Central City
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Warners Hotel, 50 Cathedral Square by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License