Topic: Hollywood Cinema

Topic type:

Located at 30 Marriner Street, Sumner, Hollywood Theatre opened in 1938

Hollywood Cinema, 28 Marriner Street, Sumner, 2004The theatre on Marriner Street, Sumner, designed by architect Colin Lamb, was opened on the 9th April 1938.  A full page advertisement in the Press announced its official opening by the Mayor, J. Tait, that evening, with the first film screening being “Wings of the morning” starring Annabella. The chief projectionist was K.E. Miller who had previously been with the Harbour Lights Theatre, Lyttelton.

In 1962, Lang and Maureen Masters took over Hollywood and continue to run the cinema today.

From August 1976 until September 2000, the cinema traded under the name Stage Door, after which it  was known as Masters Hollywood 3.

In 2015 the building that houses the Hollywood Cinema, the neighbouring car park and cafe were put up for sale and it was purchased jointly by the Masters and their new business partners, Steve and Mel Jukes, with the intention that the Jukes will eventually take over the cinema fully when Lang and Maureen retire.

Hollywood 3 is the only suburban cinema in Christchurch still running after 75 years of operation.






Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Hollywood Cinema

City:Sumner, Christchurch
Name:Hollywood Cinema
Previous name :Hollywood and Stage Door
Suburb :Sumner