Topic: The Civic, Manchester Street

Topic type:

Christchurch City Council's offices for 56 years from 1924-1980, located at 194 Manchester Street.

In 1920 the Christchurch City Council purchased the remains of the Canterbury Hall on Manchester Street which had been gutted by fire in 1917.

The northern part of the building and front facade still remained and the new building retained the Oamaru and Mount Somers stone and brick frontage, while creating an interior space of more than 3000 square metres over two floors and a basement.

Manchester Street Civic

In 1922 the council engaged Greenstreet and Anderson as architects for the new building, and W. Williamson as the builder. The design was based on the style of an American bank and included Tasmanian blackwood doors and panelling, Nelson marble in the vestibule and a staircase of Coromandel granite. The total cost was about £75,000.

The new offices were opened on 1 September 1924 and the Council met for the first time a week later.

The building was damaged during the 2010-2011 Canterbury Earthquakes, with much of the facade collapsing into Manchester Street, and the building was demolished in 2011.

 

Related resources


Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

The Civic, Manchester Street


City:Christchurch
Previous name :Canterbury Hall
Suburb :Central City