Topic: Collingwood Street, New Brighton

Topic type:

Collingwood Street runs from Owles Terrace by the Avon/Otakaro River to Union Street in New Brighton.

Formerly Harriott Street, named after Harriet or Harriott Hawker, née Raine, (1856?- 1925).

Re-named Collingwood Street at a special meeting of the New Brighton Council on 12 August 1907.   Collingwood was a British naval commander. Harry Hawker (1868-1947), a councillor 1905-1909, had suggested that New Brighton street names be changed to the names of British sea captains who had fought in the 18th and 19th century - a gesture linking Christchurch with the home country, was patriotic and emphasised the fact that New Brighton was a seaside suburb. Collingwood Street first appears in street directories in 1911.   - Source Christchurch City Libraries. Christchurch Street and Place Names.

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Collingwood Street, New Brighton


City:Christchurch
Suburb :New Brighton
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Collingwood Street, New Brighton by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License