Portstone, Woolston

Original Filename: FerryRoad471.jpg (view)

Original Size: 1.3 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Portstone, Woolston.

Caption

The former dwelling located at 471 Ferry Road, was built in the  1860s  by  and  for  James  Courtenay  (Courtney),  a  stonemason  and  quarryman,  who purchased the section (part of Rural Section 101) in August 1863.

he  Courtenay  family  retained  ownership  of  the  cottage  until  1916, the house then passed  through  many  hands  until  1971,  when  new  owners  Bruce  and  Maureen  Currie Page renamed it Portstone, and subsequently used it as part of their Portstone Nursery business.

Portstone was converted for use as a restaurant in 1980.

Photograph taken 18 February 2003

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion