Topic: Nurse Maude Building - Earthquake Damage and Beyond

Topic type:

Built in 1918 the former Nurse Maude District Nursing Association building was located at 192 Madras Street and demolished after the 2010/2011 earthquake sequence.

Located at 192 Madras Street the former Nurse Maude District Nursing  Association building was a two storey, stand alone, Edwardian Freestyle building with a decorative façade, built in 1918.

The building was the headquarters of the Nurse Maude District Nursing Association from 1919 to 1973, and the home of pioneering district nurse Sibylla Maude, who lived and died in the building.

The building was designed by well-known architectural firm the England Brothers in 1918.

4 September 2010 – the building suffered damage to the front façade, limited damage to other elevations
- 26 December 2010 – further damage to front elevations, side elevations, collapse of parapets.

22 February 2011 - Building severely damaged
- Virtually all the front façade has collapsed behind the containers
- Exterior assessment only: couldn’t see much into the building but the front façade is the key element of the building

Building was demolished

 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion