Topic: St Kentigern's Church, Kaituna Valley
St Kentigern's Church (396 Kaituna Valley Road) is an Anglican church in Kaituna Valley built in 1933.
The foundation stone was laid on July 1, 1933 by the Bishop of Christchurch Right Rev Campbell West Watson, and the newly-completed church was dedicated on May 12, 1934. It was consecrated on July 29, 1951. The name refers to a monk of Irish tradition and bishop of the Strathclyde area who might have been the illegitimate grandson of a British prince.
The church is built using reinforced concrete, Kaituna stone quarried from the hill behind the site, and Port Hills stone. The windows were faced with Oamaru stone
The stained- glass windows depict the landscape of Banks Peninsula, including cabbage trees, sheep, flowers, the rolling hills and the ochre tussock.
These windows above the altar were given by the Parkinson family, who were among the first Europeans there.
The altar and credence table were made of Otahuna stone from nearby Tai Tapu.