Topic: Rutherford Street Cemetery

Topic type:

Rutherford Street Cemetery opened in 1852 and is now closed.

Rutherford Street Cemetery also known as Woolston Cemetery opened in 1852 and is now closed. The cemetery is located within an industrial area adjacent to a busy arterial road and factories.

The cemetery was regarded as both a separate cemetery and a churchyard. Although it was some distance from St John’s Anglican Church, the cemetery was originally maintained by the Church and was taken over by the Christchurch City Council in 1983. A funeral chapel was located in the cemetery, it was designed by R.W England Junior and constructed in 1888. The chapel was relocated to Jubilee Home in 1949, and then relocated to its current home at the City Mission in 1991. The foundations of the chapel remain and a garden was established on the foundations.

Arranged in the traditional monumental style of a late Victorian cemetery, the graves are laid out in a formal grid pattern. They are close together and are separated by narrow grass paths.

Well established deciduous trees including many notable trees provide a pleasant enclosed woodland feel to the cemetery, however there are still views towards the Port Hills.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion