Headstone and memorial plaque for St John of God cemetery at Mt Magdala

Original Filename: Headstone_and_memorial_plaque_for_St_John_of_God_cemetery_at_Mt_Magdala__Aidanfield__Halswell_RoFe-085.jpg (view)

Original Size: 252.4 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Headstone and memorial plaque for St John of God cemetery at Mt Magdala.

Caption

The Mt Magdala cemetery in which this monument stands was opened around 1888 and is now closed.   The cemetery and the adjacent St John of God church are the two remaining buildings that connect  the site with the work of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd whose community operated here from 1888 to 1966.   The Adianfield subdivision that now takes up much of the original site was named after Mother Aidan Phelan who is buried  in the cemetery.

Photo taken May 2009.    

From the collection of Ron Fensom, QSM

Related:

Mount Magdala Cemetery of the Good Shepherd Sisters.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Headstone and memorial plaque for St John of God cemetery at Mt Magdala


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Headstone and memorial plaque for St John of God cemetery at Mt Magdala by SueC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License