Topic: Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Avonside - Earthquake Damage and Beyond

Topic type:

Located at 122 Avonside Drive, Avonside
 
Holy Trinity Church was consecrated on 24 February 1857. Architect Benjamin Mountfort, a parishioner designed additions to the church including a bell tower and timber vestry, a stone chancel and transepts. In 1905 the original cob building was replaced by a stone nave designed by Mountfort's son Cyril Mountfort. In 1953–1954 the west end of the church was extended, removing the remaining pre-1870s part of the building.

The church was damaged in the 2010 Canterbury earthquake. Repairs were under way when the February 2011 Christchurch earthquake struck, with the church building suffering major damage including collapse of the chancel and most of the transepts. The church was demolished in September 2011 amidst much controversy.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Avonside - Earthquake Damage and Beyond


City:Christchurch
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Avonside - Earthquake Damage and Beyond by Cecil is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 New Zealand License