St. Peter’s Anglican Church Graveyard

Original Filename: St_Peters_Church_Cemetery__Church_Corner___11_March_2017__P1080432.jpg (view)

Original Size: 6 MB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

St. Peter’s Anglican Church Graveyard.

Caption

The graveyard is located the grounds of St Peters Anglican Church at 24 Main South Road, Upper Riccarton.

The graveyard at St Peter's is the final resting place for many notable Canterbury personalities. When the church was consecrated in 1858, the graveyard was also consecrated for burial according to Christian traditions.
 
In 1960 the graveyard was tidied and reorganised with the consent of the relatives of those buried there. The graves were planted over with grass to give the impression of a lawn, and the ornate iron railings surrounding some of the graves were removed.

Photograph taken 11 March 2017.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion