Explore Kete Christchurch

Detail Great Choice ChCh Event New Brighton 2 Duvachelle-Onawe
brights.bridge Sunday afternoon, Sumner promenade New Brighton mall bollards and the fountain
ph14 Help? talk

 

Kete Christchurch is an online resource bringing together records of local events, people, places and events - current and historical. Our aim is to gather the knowledge held by  the community about the Christchurch and Banks Peninsula area by inviting people to share stories, photos, video and audio on this site.
Anybody with any information about Christchurch and Banks Peninsula that will enrich this archive is invited to contribute.  
Register on Kete to begin, or contact us.
 

Latest 50 topics

The first official use of the word came in March 1912 when G. W. Russell M.P. received notice from the
Shand's Emporium.
Shand's Emporium was located at 88 Hereford Street. After the earthquakes, it was moved off Hereford Street, and in June
Portsmouth Street, 30 August 2013 #SAM 9387.
Named after Portsmouth, in Hampshire, a major naval base. Named in 1955. In an area in Aranui where all the
Hampshire Street, 30 August 2013 #SAM 9390.
Named after Hampshire, a county in England on the south coast of England on the English Channel. In an area
Te Pa o Rakaihautu , Pavitt Street, 30 March 2015 #P1000666.
Probably named after Francis Pavitt (1834-1909).  Pavitt was a surveyor and resident magistrate. He practised in Christchurch for some time.
Te Pa o Rakaihautu , Pavitt Street, 30 March 2015 #P1000667.
Te Pā o Rākaihautū opened its doors in January 2015, at a temporary site in Pavitt Street Richmond, Christchurch, the
Named after Liverpool, a city and metropolitan borough of Merseyside, England.Named in 1909. First appears in street directories in 1924.
Thomas (Tom) Wark was a First World War soldier with links to Woolston
St John Of God Chapel.
Formerly Magdala Road. Re-named Nash Street. Named after Walter Nash (1882-1968). Nash was a clerk, commercial traveller, shopkeeper, politician and
Waltham memorial gates, 4 May 2015 #P1010252.
LocationWaltham War Memorial Gates are located on the South boundary of Waltham Park at the intersection of Waltham Road, Wilsons
Private John Adams (Service no. 8/899) was a First World War soldier with links to Woolston
Action figure paste-ups - Greedo.
Temporary street art by artist Mark Catley, BNZ building, Cathedral Square. Installed during May 2015.
Geoffrey Bargrove was a First World War sailor with links to New Brighton
Private Cecil James Gimblett (Service no. 55475) was a First World War soldier with links to Woolston
Lance-Corporal John Sydney James (Service no. 6/1886) was a First World War Soldier with links to Woolston
6 Dorset Street  27 August 2011.
The Dorset Street Flats were built in 1955 and designed by architect Miles Warren
David Stanley Moody (Service no. 32693) was a First World War Soldier with links to Woolston
Alexander James (Service no. 7/1851) was a First World War Soldier with links to Woolston
James Alexander Adams (Service no. 7/571) was a First World War soldier with links to New Brighton.
Cyril Cooke (Service no. 12107) was a First World War soldier with links to New Brighton
Samuel Arthur Carroll was a soldier in the first world war who lived on Manchester street.
Damaged house & rockfall at Redcliffs.
An eastern suburb of Christchurch - former names have included Watsonville, Poverty Flat, Fisherman’s Flat and Clifton.
These are the stories of those young men with close links to Manchester street who fought in the First World
Captain Frank Nuttall, MC DFC AFC, was a First World War soldier with links to New Brighton.
Joseph Snelling (Service no. 32388) was a First World War soldier with links to Woolston.
Harewood War Memorial, located at Harewood School, 721 Harewood Road.
George Frederick Durey was a First World War soldier with links to Harewood.
Te Waka Unua School, 3 May 2015 #P1010230.
Formed by the merger of Phillipstown School and Woolston School in 2015. Location: 476 Ferry Road, Woolston, Christchurch 8023 Related
Woolston School Reunion, 1965.
Woolston School was closed in 2015 after it was merged with Phillipstown School to form Te Waka Unua School Location:
Original Phillipstown Brick School Building, 1965-1975.
Phillipstown School was closed in 2015 after it was merged with Woolston School to form Te Waka Unua School Location: 39 Nursery
St George's Hospital.
St George’s Hospital was first suggested in the 1850s when the London-based Canterbury Association encouraged Canterbury’s founding settlers to create a
  Related Christchurch Chinese Methodist Church (CCMC)

Register now. Explore Kete Christchurch, create topics, add images, documents, audio and video. Comment on existing material and connect your stories with others. 

Add your stories, photos, memories of the earthquakes and the aftermath to the Canterbury Earthquake 2010 - 2011 basket. 


Baskets

New & updated on Kete Christchurch

Stories from the first World War

This Week in NZ History

2014 Christchurch Photo Hunt

Random Image from the Archive

50 Acacia Avenue - Window.

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.